Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trash Talk: Djokovic Hits Back at Andy On Court

The smack talk continues at the US Open as Novak Djokovic won himself a spot in the semis before he went on to lose the crowd in his post-match on-court interview.

The third-seeded Serb responded to the remarks made by his quarterfinal opponent, Andy Roddick, concerning his injuries that Roddick and Robredo insinuated were not very genuine. The crowd unfortunately were not very pleased by the Djoker's reaction and he was booed off the court.

Here's the on court interview with Djokovic after his victory:



Both players later explained in their post-match press conferences that it's not that big of a deal though and that it'll all blow over, but still; don't you think the players are getting crankier?!?!

Okay so here's what Nole had to say about it in his press conference:

"I don't think it was intentional, okay. He made a joke and it was a misunderstanding, so I don't blame it on him. Okay. I did react on the court. Maybe I reacted. Maybe I exaggerated and reacted bad in that moment. No, I apologize if I reacted like that. But this was just impulsive, you know."

And when asked about Robredo's comments here's what he said:

"Yeah, look, Robredo had the right to say something like that if he lost, you know. Everybody has right to complain and right to say. I respect everybody's thoughts and everybody's opinion.

I never wanted to disrespect anybody. As I said, if I made ‑‑ if I exaggerated on the court today and I made maybe a mistake saying that in front of 20,000 people, you know, in his city and his favorite tournament, okay, I do apologize, but it was ‑‑ he was not bad intentions. So I just hope people understand."


So I guess it started off with both players mocking one another and sharing laughs on court on the Arthur Ashe Kids' Day, before Roddick took it a step further making fun of Nole's "injuries" in a press conference, which led to Nole taking it personally and reacting like a pissed off girlfriend in front of a huge crowd consisting mainly of Roddick fans, and then finally Roddick saying he was just kidding and that Nole should take it like a man, which from the Nole quotes above I think it's safe to say that he finally started to act like one!

Finally some action at the Open besides the tennis :)

No comments: