Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tsonga Roars in Bangkok - Wins First ATP Title

How would have thought that after his unbelievable tournament at the Aussie Open back in January, Tsonga's first ATP triumph would come 9 months later?!?! Well the Frenchman, who reached a career-high no. 11 in the world rankings before suffering a knee injury, overcame a 3-month injury time out and finally came back to snatch his very first ATP title and he did it against the person who denied him that honor in Melbourne; Novak Djokovic.

Tsonga edged past Djokovic 7-6, 6-4 in the Bangkok final on Sunday, to avenge his loss to the Serb at the Australian Open final earlier this year, and slightly improve his chances of qualifying to the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

Djokovic, who hasn't won a title since May in Rome, has already qualified to the Masters Cup for the second straight year, but let's hope he has enough left in the tank for it by then, unlike last year when he lost his 3 round robin matches and flew back home early.

"I feel great, it’s got to be one of the best moments of my life... I just played unbelievable tennis against Novak and it was just my dream so I’m really happy."
"The last game was very hard and I was just saying in my head “Go On! Do It!” so it was incredible. I was not nervous (about the match), I was just a little bit nervous about Novak because he has played just unbelievably and, for me, it’s difficult to play against him because I have a really good serve and I think one of the best parts of his game is the return."



"I lost the final against a great player. Jo wisely used his opportunities and deserved to win his first title. I played a bit too defensively today in the final. You have to use your opportunities and I didn’t. It’s unfortunate to lose in the final but I lost to a great player so I have no regrets. Congratulations to Jo and his team on his first ATP title. I’m sure we’ll see a lot of him in the future."

"Reaching the final is a great result for me, especially considering the difficult period I had with the tough Davis Cup match after the US Open. I haven’t won a tournament since Rome but I’m not that disappointed since I have played consistently at the major events. I will now work on my endurance and strength and am aiming for good results during the indoor season. There are several important events coming up."

Quotes from atptennis.com, images from Getty Images

No comments: