Sunday, October 5, 2008

Week Wrap-Up: Berdych, Tursunov Grab Titles, Federer Out of Stockholm

World number 32, Dmitry Tursunov, beat Paul-Henri Mathieu 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 in the Metz final on Sunday to capture his second title of the season (won Sydney beginning of the year).

"In the second set he had a lot of chances to attack my second serve and he was successful in doing that," said Tursunov. "As I was two breaks down, Paul-Henri was playing with a lot of confidence. Today there wasn't a big difference. I can't say that I was better than him. He could have broken me as well in the third set."


Across the globe in Tokyo, former world number 9, Tomas Berdych, who won a doubles title partnering Tursunov earlier this year in Rotterdam, captured his first singles trophy of the season by defeating the freshest addition to the world's top 10, Juan Martin Del Potro, 6-1, 6-4.

Del Potro took a timeout to take some medicine for his stomach during the match but the hot-shot Argentine said that Berdych's game was the main reason he lost.

"It was very tough for me," said Del Potro, who is now number 9 in both the ATP rankings and the ATP Race.
"He played unbelievably today, I didn't have chance to do anything. I didn't feel well during the match but I think it was more to do with how well he played. But I had a great tournament anyway, so I'm sad because I lost today but I have to be happy for the week."


"If someone had told me before the match (how I would control the play from the start) I wouldn't have believed it because I saw Juan Martin playing his earlier matches and he was in really good shape, playing well," admitted Berdych.

"Today I think he had a little bit of bad luck and I think he didn't feel well on the court from the beginning. But I think in the second set was getting pretty close and I'm very happy that I finished it the way I did."


Meanwhile, world number 2, Roger Federer (it still feels really weird saying that), announced last Wednesday that he won't be playing in Stockholm due to fatigue.

"2008 has been a tough year for me as I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year. I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the #1 ranking again. In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100% fit for the remainder of the year or next year."

No comments: