Monday, November 10, 2008

Shanghai Update: Simon Stuns Federer Again


Gilles Simon, who only made it to the Masters Cup because Rafael Nadal got tendinitis, stunned the defending champion and current world number 2, Roger Federer, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, in the opening round robin match of the Red Group on Monday.

The sizzling Frenchman stepped up his game after dropping the first set, and turned around the match to claim his second win over Federer this year (he beat him in the Masters Series Canada in the summer).

This victory surely gives Simon a lot of confidence in his group but Federer is far from beaten. The Swiss suffered a similar fate last year in Shanghai when he lost his opening round robin match to Fernando Gonzalez, however Federer went on to win the title. The 4-time Masters Cup champion has the class and resilience, to take this defeat and use it to his own benefit.

Simon, who is now at a career high number 9 in the rankings, next faces Britain's hot shot, Andy Murray, who defeated Andy Roddick in the second singles match of the day. Murray overcame a bad second set to beat the American, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1.

Federer on Simon:

"The better you play, the better he plays, he's quite an unusual player and he makes you work hard and runs very well."

Federer on his loss:

"Definitely today I missed shots I normally don't miss. I think that's just lack of practice.

"It's the only tournament where I really have a chance after losing the first match so I'm happy it happened here."

Simon's reaction to his victory:

"It's always hard to win against Federer. I know that I have to play my best tennis... But in another way, it's easier for me because I have no question in any head. I just want to give everything, every point to my best tennis to win. It's easier to play in that way."

"I defeated him once in Toronto, so it was easier to finish the match. I had no complex when I served in the last game. And, for sure, it was one of the best victory of my career."

No comments: