Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Australian Open: Day 10 - Confident Verdasco Says Nadal is the Toughest

"Rafa is the toughest player in five‑set matches. If I play against him, is going to be, you know, the toughest match as possible."

"But, you know, I'm feeling pretty good and I just want to go out there for first time in semifinals in Grand Slam and enjoy that moment, do my best, just enjoy and try my best. Right now I'm believing so much about me, about my game, I'm feeling pretty good, and I just think that I can beat anyone. But, you know, the same way that I can win, I can lose."

"But I believe in myself that I can win that matches. I don't put a limit in this tournament. I'm in semifinals right now and I think that I can lose in semifinals but also be in the final or win the tournament. So I will try to, for sure, win the tournament."

Fernando Verdasco's thoughts about his upcoming match against Rafael Nadal in the Aussie Open semifinals, after beating last year's finalist, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarters on Wednesday.

It's good Verdasco has all this confidence heading into his semifinal, but the fact that Rafa is the toughest is not news... Just ask Gilles Simon! The poor Frenchman played pretty well in his quarterfinal match against Rafa, but sadly for Simon that didn't mean he stood a chance against the mighty Spaniard, who is yet to drop a set at the Australian Open.

2 comments:

hcfoo said...

Yea I agree on how well Gillou played today but that wasn't enough to stop Rafa.

It's amazing how Verdasco can come this far. I would like to see how he's going to perform when he take on his fellow Spaniard next. He has upset Murray and Tsonga, but I believe players like Rafa and Roger are of different level. So I predict Rafa will win the semifinal match in straight sets.

Reem said...

Hi hcfoo... yeah am predicting a Rafa-Fed final.. it would be really cool if they meet in Australia... it's not very common that the top 2 seeds make it to the final there. So am lookin forward to it.
Roddick-Fed should be interesting today!!