Saturday, January 31, 2009

Australian Open: Federer Thinks Nadal Will Be Ready For The Final



On Rafa having one less day than him to prepare for the final, Federer said:

"I don't think it's really going to affect Rafa that much. He's had very easy matches going into this semifinal.

Okay, he has a day less. But, look, I mean, you got to be fit and recover from this kind of a match. I think he will, even though he took a while. His matches usually take longer than other matches because he takes his time out on the court. I don't think he will be really affected on Sunday."


"I don't think [I have an advantage]. I mean, you still got a day off. It's not like he has to play right now, so this is a different story."

"At the US Open we have no days off, so let's be happy we have a day off here, to be quite honest... I don't think Rafa will struggle too much to get over this kind of a match. Like I said before, he's had an easy tournament so far. This was the tough one. I'm sure he's going to get over it. I see the point, but I don't think it's a valid one on this occasion."

On playing Nadal in the final on Sunday:

"I mean, it's an unbelievable opportunity for me, of course, you know, not being No. 1 anymore, you know, trying to beat No. 1 in the world and getting the 14th Grand Slam.

You know, this is where I won the Grand Slam to become No. 1 in the world back in 2004 really, so I've always had a specially liaison with this tournament. You know, the stage is set, basically, for a great match. I hope we can live up to them like we did in Wimbledon.

I think it's going to be a close match. I think he's playing well, and he showed it throughout the tournament. Yesterday his match was fantastic, so I'm looking forward to a great match and then hopefully equal Pete's record."

What do you guys think? Is Federer going to equal Pete's record tomorrow? Or will Rafa finally win a Slam on hardcourt?!?! Do tell !!

3 comments:

Sophia said...

Federer all the way! He will crush Nadal tomorrow. I just know it :)

freakyfrites said...

As a big Fed fan, I'm of course rooting for my guy. But the awesome Nadal is probably the most mentally and physically fit player of all time, so I agree with Rog: Nadal's not going to give up the fight. And honestly, a fit and motivated Roger vs. a fit and motivated Nadal - you gotta look at the head to head's and assume Nadal has the edge. . . . .

(saying this, you gotta know that I'm a bit obsessive about the Jinx factor)

Reem said...

@freakyfrites:
haha.. the jinx factor!! So I guess me saying I think Federer's gonna win is gonna freak you out a little bit huh?!?!
Am a huge Rafa fan... since the days he was barely a top 50 player. So of course am rooting for Rafa. But to tell you the truth I think Federer will be more fit. And if Nadal plays as defensively as he played against Verdasco, then Federer definitely has a huge chance. Unless the super aggressive Rafa shows up on court tomorrow. That will be another story :)