Monday, January 26, 2009

Australian Open: Day 8 Shock Alert - Verdasco Knocks Out Murray to Make the Quarterfinals


Murray vs Verdasco highlights courtesy of Eurosport

14th-seed, Fernando Verdasco, delivered the largest upset of the men's draw so far at the Australian Open, when he defeated 4th-seed, Andy Murray, 2-6, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the last 16 on Monday, to reach the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam for the very first time.

The bookies must be really pissed, because everyone (myself included) assumed Murray was gonna win this match, and many thought Murray was actually going to win the Australian Open altogether, but Verdasco managed to pull off what could possibly be the upset of the tournament. I bet you one or two players are quite relieved now that Murray's out of the picture, don't you think?

Here's what Murray had to say after his loss:


"I didn't feel terrible at all. You know, I had my chances. He [Verdasco] served incredible in the fourth and fifth sets. So, you know, he deserves the credit for the win."

"... he served huge. You know, he started serving like, 215 plus on a lot of his first serves. The fourth set, I think he served like 93% first serves. Sometimes you've just got to say too good, and he played better than me."

"I don't think it was anything to do with physical, concentration, or my game. He played too good for me. That's what happens. I'm not here to try to make excuses for why I lost."


"I don't know if I'll be the favorite for a slam, you know, in the next year or so after today. But it doesn't really bother me. For me, I play the match. If I'm the favorite to win, whatever, I play the same as I am when I'm the underdog. I try my best to win. I think I give a hundred percent in all my matches. You know, if I lose, I lose. If I win, I win."

No comments: