Sunday, January 25, 2009

Australian Open: Berdych Takes Federer to 5, But it Wasn't Enough!!

First you have to check out some highlights from the Federer-Berdych match (courtesy of ESPN):


Then you can find out what the players had to say... Beware, Federer smack-talking Murray coming up ahead!!!

"I wouldn't say I was so close. I won two sets and then I was 3‑All. Still, I mean, even if you have a match point you're closer, but not close enough to beat him [Federer].

When the last ball is finished, the referee call the score, then it's finished. I was quite far from this situation. But, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I won two sets with him. I give him a little more pressure."
Tomas Berdych, after losing to Roger Federer 4-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2, in the Australian Open 4th round.

The Czech 20th seed stretched Federer to five sets in the last 16 on Sunday, but his efforts failed to secure him a spot in the quarterfinals.

Federer next takes on 8th-seed, Juan Martin Del Potro, who overcame 19th-seed, Marin Cilic, in 4 sets.

The Swiss second seed is now 2 matches away from a potential highly anticipated final against Andy Murray, and Federer seems confident ahead of the possible match-up:

"I don't know how fit Murray is. I'll take him on any day in a five‑setter. He's younger so he's probably not so experienced, you know... In the end it becomes very mental, and I know that this is where my biggest strengths always comes into play. That's why I'm always going to favor myself in a fifth set."

Woah!! Looks like Federer has his flare gun cranked up and he's sending out some serious warnings. Let's hope he can back it up with an actual victory if he really does meet Murray in the final.

No comments: