Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rafael Nadal's Three Never-Ending Goals...

Photo by Getty Images via Australianopen.com

Rafael Nadal spoke to reporters on Saturday the 17th, 2 days before the Australian Open kicks off. Here's some of what the Spaniard had to say:

On the added pressure of being number 1


"For me, no, the [pressure] is the same because the goals is still the same. I try to improve my tennis because I still very young. I only have 22. Try to continue be in the top positions and try to continuing win tournaments. That's the three goals."

"...for sure was important finish the season with the No. 1 ranking after three years being the No. 2. I am very happy for that. If this give me something, is more calm than more [pressure], no?"


On Murray's recent surge and the Scot's chances in Melbourne this year

"He's playing good tennis, with confidence. He started the season very well, winning in Doha. He finish the 2008 season playing well, the last four months of the year. So, well, for sure if he play well, he can win here.

But right now everybody start from the first round here and everything going to be difficult for everybody, no?"

"Well, when you win Cincinnati, when you win Madrid, when you win Doha playing against Federer, playing against Roddick, you are ready for win a Grand Slam, no?"

On his readiness for the Open

"Hopefully yes. But, you know, I was for two months outside of competition, so maybe I need a little bit more matches for get the rhythm, no?

But I am okay, no? I think I am okay. I will try my best for be ready for Tuesday. Just try my best every match and expect find my best performance."

You can read the full interview here...

********************
It's funny how other players would never go out in public and admit they're not sure about how ready they are for a Grand Slam. Nadal is the world number 1, but he's not afraid of sharing his concerns. I like how honest he is, but a little intimidation wouldn't hurt, don't you think??!!

No comments: