Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Flavor of the Week - Tuesday February 3rd

Movies

Okay the Oscar season is in full swing and Oscar night is only 3 weeks away, so I decided to watch all the movies that are nominated so I can have an idea what’s going on come February 22nd. I know I know, I’ve got too much time on my hands, but I’m an insomniac, there’s a reason I have time :)

Anyways, so I haven’t seen all the movies yet of course, but the second I watched Slumdog Millionaire I realized I had to recommend it to everyone I know.

So here it is… Everybody, you gotta watch Slumdog Millionaire!!! The movie is nominated for best picture, best directing and a whole bunch of other awards for the sound and cinematography and stuff. I don’t want to give away anything about the movie but the idea is brilliant and it is very very nicely done! The way the storyline takes you back and forth and relates events to each other is just genius.

All am gonna say about the story is probably what everyone knows anyway which is that it’s about an 18-year-old boy who won a shitload of money on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (the Indian version of the show in India) and has been accused of cheating.

The story is very original and the directing, the soundtrack and the acting are all awesome. So make sure you all check out the movie soon.

Music

I’ve been listening to the song Trouble is a Friend by Lenka a lot recently. I remembered it from a Grey’s Anatomy episode earlier this season and I’ve been listening to it ever since. It’s nice and light despite the lyrics telling everyone that there’s no escape from trouble.

Been also listening to a lot of Feist lately. A friend of mine told me about Feist in the summer (thank you Bort) but I only recently checked out her songs. She’s most known for “1234” which was in one of the Apple ads, but she has other good tracks, so check em out.

For the soft rockers out there, Manchester Orchestra are not bad. “I Can Feel a Hot One” is my favorite so far, but they have other good tracks as well.

TV

Okay Lost is back, and feel free to admit that you don’t really understand much of what’s going on. I’ll talk about Lost in more detail later on in a different post, since this one is mostly about recommendations.

If you’re a sports buff and love movies and shows that revolve around sports then I guess you know about Friday Night Lights. I only started watching it recently and I like it so far. It revolves around a high school football team in a fictional town in Texas. It is currently in its third season and airs on NBC on Wednesdays. The series is based on the book and movie Friday Night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friday Night Lights airs on Fridays actually. It's an awesome show and I'm so glad you mentioned it cause it needs all the help it can get. Keep up the good blogging.

Reem said...

Thanks anon for the correction!! yes it's a great show. Am so glad I started watching it.
Glad you're enjoying my blog :)