Friday, March 13, 2009

Indian Wells: Who's ready, who's not, who's pregnant?!?

Andy doesn't really look sick to me. In fact am lovin' the tan !!

World number 4, Andy Murray, is set to return to the courts at Indian Wells this week, after he skipped Dubai with a virus last month. The Scot, who also couldn't play in the Davis Cup last week, said he isn't too sure about his chances this tournament:

"I am not putting too much pressure on myself to play well this week because I took 10 full days off."

"Obviously, because of that I lost a little bit of fitness and (I am) not hitting the ball as well as I was before I was sick, but hopefully if I can get through a couple of matches I can start to work myself into the tournament."


"There's no point in me coming in here and saying I'm feeling perfect and I've had the best preparation possible... Like before Australia, I felt really good going in there. In Rotterdam, I didn't feel my best going in but I found a way to win the tournament and I played better as week went on."


"But as you get older, you start to understand that you're not going to feel perfect every week and you try and find a way to get through the first couple of matches."


Murray opens against Spain's Albert Montanes in the second round.

Roger Federer hasn't played since he lost the Australian Open final. This is what he had to say ahead of Indian Wells, about the prospect of meeting Rafael Nadal in yet another final:

"I love playing matches against him, especially those five-setters, seeing if I can hang with him physically without a problem. He's the greatest challenger I've ever had."

"I am really motivated because I don't know how much better he can play. I don't know how much better I can play but I am right there and he's playing the tennis of his life."


The daddy-to-be, who just found out his gf Mirka is pregnant, is trying to show a brave face here but we all know better... Am sure Federer would rather face anyone in a final than to suffer another humiliating loss to Nadal.

Speaking of Nadal, the world number 1 was spotted practicing at Indian Wells. Check out that footwork:



Nadal has a doubles match today with Marc Lopez, against Mertinak/Cermak. Am actually surprised that all these top players are taking part in doubles this week. Are the players broke or something and they decided that getting some doubles earnings will ease them through the credit crunch?!?! or are they just trying to wear their bodies faster so they all skip the indoors season together, leaving the Paris and Masters cup titles to the likes of Radek Stepanek?!?! Beats me, but I guess that's good news for us fans, at least for now. I guess am gonna have to get used to not switching the channel when I find a doubles match on this week.

Besides Nadal and M. Lopez, Federer is playing doubles with Wawrinka, Roddick is with Fish, Simon's with Chardy, Murray's with Hutchins, Berdych is with Kiefer, Fernando Gonzalez is with Robredo, Ferrer's with Montanes... Most of those pairs will be in action today so make sure you check them out.