Saturday, March 14, 2009

Slim Chance for a Grand Slam but US Open is a Goal, Says Nadal

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Indian Wells' top seed, Rafael Nadal spoke to the press about his chances of completing a Grand Slam, by winning the remaining 3 Slams this year. The young Spaniard said his chances for doing that were pretty slim but that completing a career Grand Slam was more of a goal to him, as he hopes he could capture the US Open this year, which is the only Major he hasn't won yet.

"My chances are really small."

"What Rod Laver did was amazing. But at the same time it was a little bit easier in that moment than right now, because in that moment I think they only had two different surfaces (grass and clay)... Now we have three and Australia and the US Open are not exactly the same."

"The US Open is a big goal right now... I would love to have that, the fourth. But I know how tough everything is and I'm happy with my results.

"I am going to continue working, but to win every tournament, it's very tough. And if you are talking about the Grand Slam, even more."

"I'm trying to play a little bit more aggressive, serve a little bit better, be a more complete player. If you can slice, you have another option. If you can go to the net, it's another option.

"In the end, when you have more options, you have more resources. When you have tough matches, that's really important."

No comments: