Saturday, April 18, 2009

French Stars Pull Out of Barcelona

World number 11, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, and number 10, Gael Monfils, suffered another setback in their Roland Garros preparation campaigns as they both pulled out of the Barcelona Open next week.

The French duo, who both haven't had any proper action on clay so far (Monfils lost in Monte Carlo first round, Tsonga didn't play), sited knee problems as the main reason behind their withdrawal from Barcelona.

"Jo is training in Geneva at the moment and felt something in his right knee," said Tsonga's agent Morgan Menahem. "He won't go to Barcelona as a precaution but it's nothing to worry about."

Well the good news is they still have time to recover before the French Open, however they need to get some matches on clay under their belts if they plan on causing any stir in Paris. Hopefully they'll both be fit for Rome and Madrid.

1 comment:

Virginie said...

Noooo Jo :(

I really hope he recovers quickly. I was hoping he would be injury-free this season.

Do you know more details about the injury?