Thursday, April 2, 2009

Miami Watch: Federer overcomes Roddick in quarters, Djokovic next



Second seed, Roger Federer, made it to the Miami semis after a hard-fought 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win over a rejuvenated Andy Roddick.

The American fifth-seed gave Federer a hard time and I was suprised at how well Roddick was outrallying Federer from the back of the court, but what is truly beyond me, is why Roddick insisted on those careless approach shots, allowing Federer to hit the exact same pass almost every single time. Roddick clearly had the upperhand most of the time from the back of the court, especially in the second set when Federer seemed to be losing focus, and I know it's courageous to go up to the net and try to mix things up, but it just wasn't working for A-Rod Wednesday night.

Next up for Fed is third-seed, Novak Djokovic, who finally snapped his 4-match losing streak to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga by defeating the Frenchman 6-3, 6-4.

"I think that I should have had it under control in the second set. Kind of lost that and was under quite a bit of pressure in the third set. So I'm happy I got through it. Got maybe a touch lucky at that deuce passing shot. But, I mean, I hit it well and came up with a great shot and match point. So I was really happy," - Federer on that lucky net cord that set him up with a match point.

Some Andy-bashing:

"... 40-Love, to be broken, that should never happen, especially against Andy. I mean, he's a good player, but he's not the greatest returner of all time. It just shouldn't happen, so that was disappointing."

And then some Andy-complimenting:

"... you don't break Andy Roddick every day either. So it's always a highlight when you get a chance to break him. That's why I was happy."

"You got to create yourself chances. If you do get lucky on a big point, it just happens. But you got to put yourself in that position, and that's what I was able to do."
- We get it Roger, you didn't win cuz of the net cord.

"I think it's going to help me with my confidence. I think it was a decent match. I don't think I played my best tennis tonight, but I served well. I had the short lapses in the second set. I just have to make sure they don't happen, because it happened in the third set against Murray."

On his next opponent, Djokovic:

"I also beat him [Djokovic] in Monaco. He gave up there. But it's good to have, you know, won the last couple matches against him. In the beginning when he was up and coming, you know, I figured him out pretty quickly, you know. I'm always anxious to play him, especially in the big occasions. You know, I kind of like his game, you know, to play that kind of style player."

And finally how Roger really feels after beating Roddick in the quarters:

"When I get through those kind of tough matches, sometimes I go on to win the tournament and I don't never look back. I hope that's what's going to happen right now."
- Someone's getting a little carried away... There's still potentially Rafa or Murray in the finals if Federer takes out Djokovic. I don't think he really fancies his odds against either one.

"Yeah, I mean, it's easier if I would have just played terrible the whole time it would have been probably tougher. I at least gave it a go there in the third, and didn't really catch a break there. You know, he had a couple good let cords when it was a breakpoint against him, and one to set up the match. He hit forehand on the outside of the line down breakpoint, too, " said Roddick after the match.

"You know, but at least it became a battle." - One you could have won, Andy!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least roger now looks on the bright side even though there are still competition along his way....i see that as a positive sign....

Reem said...

Hi Anon,

Some say positive, some say delusional!! Haha.. just kidding. It's nice to see Federer upbeat, that means the upcoming matches will be a lot more interesting. It's very disturbing for me to see Federer giving up like he did against Murray last week. Hopefully that won't happen again this tournament. He sounds pretty confident...

Anonymous said...

Only haters say delusional....because they know that he was and still is a clear and present danger to their faves.maybe because they are not too confident with their Gods....