Monday, April 13, 2009

Players' Take on Roger Federer

Besides Gilles Simon, other top players were asked about Roger Federer in Monte Carlo, and it looks like the verdict was unanimous: Roger Federer is still a major threat!

Here's what they had to say:

World number one, Rafael Nadal:

"He has played a grand slam final and two Masters Series semi-finals, these are very good results."

"Everybody talks about the racket he smashed in Miami but that's nothing. It happens to everyone.
.. He just needs a title to confirm his good start to the season."


World number 3, Novak Djokovic:

"I found it strange he broke his racket in Miami, he who always keeps calm... But these things happen when you are frustrated on the court."

"Federer won everything for four years and now he starts losing against some players but you cannot say he is in crisis."


World number 8, Fernando Verdasco:

"Two years ago he was winning everything. Now, since the beginning of the year, he has been beaten by Nadal, Djokovic and (Andy) Murray... I think mentally it is not easy to handle."

World number 10, Gael Monfils:

"We must not forget who he is... He will be out for revenge."

I gotta say I agree with the Slider-man; Federer is not one to forget a single loss and he will hunt people down sooner or later.


Quotes via Reuters, Images via BBC and ATPWorldTour.com

6 comments:

marooned84 said...

To be honest, I highly doubt it! His forehand keeps failing him again and again, and what is he without the forehand?

Reem said...

You're right about the forehand, but I'd don't think it's gone for good... it's more of a mental state. If he gets his head out of his *** the forehand shall return.
I don't believe he will ever dominate the game again, but he can still turn this around a bit if he wants to.
As for ma man Rafa, that kid just keeps gettin better and better. I can't wait to see what more he'll choose to add to his game!!

marooned84 said...

Yeah I totally agree.. he used to fight for every point and I've seen win 5 point in a raw not rarely..
We'll have to wait and see him in his favorite Wimbledon. I don't think he'll have anything to show before that.

Are you in Monte-Carlo or watching the tournament on TV?

Reem said...

In monte carlo?!? I wish! Nope am watching it on jazeera sport 2. I will be blogging from wimbledon this summer though :)

marooned84 said...

Well, me too! do you know the names of the two English commentators? They're GOOD!

Reem said...

I think you're talking about Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig. What I'd do to have their job ....