Thursday, July 2, 2009

Quotes of the Day - Hewitt and Djokovic discuss their conquerors' chances in the semis

“It's gonna be a tough one for Roddick to win. When I've seen Andy Murray at his best, he matches up extremely well against Roddick."

"A couple years ago I saw them play here because they were in my section, and Murray took care of him convincingly. And Murray's a lot better player now than he was then. Roddick's gonna have to play a hell of a match to beat him.”


-- Lleyton Hewitt on Andy Roddick's chances against Andy Murray in the semifinals on Friday.

"Tommy still hasn't lost this year on this surface. He's playing really well and has nothing to lose against Roger, so of course he has a chance."

-- Novak Djokovic on Tommy Haas' chances against Roger Federer in the semifinals on Friday.

There are many things I am liking about Wimbledon this year and that is surprising considering how devastated I was when Rafa withdrew. Besides the fact that am in London and managed to watch a couple of good matches at SW19 (which I realize I haven't blogged about yet, but hopefully I will soon), I am mainly loving the whole Ferrero/Haas/Hewitt rejuvenation stunt, and now that Haas has dispatched Djokovic, I gotta say am impressed with him the most.

Djokovic has pointed out a terrific point which is that Haas has now won 10 straight grass court matches within a 3 week period. If that doesn't give him a good chance against Federer on Friday, I don't know what does. Haas was also 5 points away from eliminating Federer from the French Open before he lost to the Swiss in 5.

The former world number 2 said after his quarterfinal victory that beating Djokovic in Halle last month had given him a confidence boost and helped him beat the Serb again on Wednesday, so given Haas' amazing performance against Federer at the French Open, let's hope he heads into the semis on Friday with the same attitude, because the German is just delightful to watch on grass.

As for the Murray-Roddick match, we're gonna see some supersonic serving from one end, and some top-notch returning from the other, what more could we ask for???! It's gonna be a good one!!

No comments: