Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hopeless Safin admits hopelessness, Ferrero enjoying his time on court

Former world number 1, Marat Safin, suffered - yet again - a first round loss and this time it was in Montreal at the hands of Gael Monfils, who had been sidelined with an injury for the past 2 months.

The 29-year-old, who has repeatedly voiced his lack of motivation and his eagerness to quit the tour at the end of this year, admitted he has no hopes whatsoever in winning another title before his pending retirement.

"I'm realistic. I know I am not going to win (another title). There is no way."

"It's getting tougher and tougher with each tournament. It really gets into you and it's not easy to play."


"Every match is a battle. It's tough not to choke in the important moments. But I want to finish up in a right note. I should enjoy it more. I just want to finish up nice."


Safin had managed to level the match after winning the second set, however ended up losing 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 to the Frenchman.

"It slipped away in the third set. I was just a little too nervous... It slipped away. I don't have a grip on the important moments. I wanted it too much."

"I know what I have to do but it's difficult. You know you don't have it -- it slips away and I feel it."


Safin's comments lately are just too contradicting for my liking. He says he just wants to enjoy his last few months on tour, yet he clearly sounds like a sad loser in most of his press conferences, saying he doesn't like the tennis life anymore, and how he can't wait to move on to something new. Then he goes on and says he wanted to win so much, thereby giving us fans a hint that he has enough motivation to actually WANT to win. Wait a minute, didn't he mention before that the motivation is gone?!?!

That man is sure tough to decipher despite being known for his blatant honesty in his pressers. I hope he manages to end his career on the "right note" because we all deserve to see some of that Russian magic before he calls it quits; something to make us disregard all the negativity he has exuded over the past few months.

Meanwhile, Monfils' next opponent is another former world number 1, Juan Carlos Ferrero, who unlike Safin, has managed to revive his tennis and is having an excellent season.

The 29-year-old Spaniard had to go through qualies to be able to play in Montreal, before he went on to dispatch Lleyton Hewitt, 6-1, 6-4 in the first round of the main draw.

"With the ranking I had with this tournament, it wasn't as good as I need, so I knew that I had to play qualies here. I realize, and I understand. But of course it's very tough to play qualies when you've been blah, blah, blah. So it is what it is."

"I'm feeling very good in the court with a lot of motivation right now, so much than at the beginning of the season, so I'm feeling good."


"I think after I win Casablanca, I give up my stress that I had. I wanted to win a tournament again, and after all this stuff, I start to enjoy more and playing a little bit better and playing very well in the court."


Besides winning Casablanca, 29th-ranked Ferrero has reached the semis in Queen's, the quarters at Wimbledon (lost to Murray), and the final in Umag.

I am just loving the Ferrero/Tommy Haas rejuvenation this season. Can't they just rub some of that form on Safin or something?!?!

No comments: