Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MIAMI UPSETS: Berdych sends Federer packing



16th seed, Tomas Berdych, made it 2 in 10 against Roger Federer, as he hopped on the Miami upset train to oust Federer 6-4, 6-7, 7-6, in the 4th round on Tuesday.

The Czech had only beaten Federer once in their previous 9 matches, when he eliminated the Swiss in the Athens Olympics in 2004. Berdych came close in Australia last year, when he was up 2 sets to love against Federer in the last 16, but still failed to seal the win.

Federer, who also lost early in Indian Wells last week, admitted that timing issues and lack of confidence have been the main reasons behind his sub-par performances on the American hardcourts this month.

"Look, it's no secret I've struggled the last, what is it, five matches I've played here in the States. It's disappointing... But I fought as much as I could under the understood circumstances with my game having issues at the moment. Definitely lack timing. I don't know where that comes from because I played so nicely in Australia."

"He's a good player, so I knew the danger coming in, especially with the timing issues I've had already the last couple weeks. But I thought I worked hard enough to iron those things out. Maybe I did. It was still the confidence lacking, and that's what kind of cost me these last two tournaments. "

"Look, I never felt great the whole night. I just fought with what I had. I knew it was gonna be a tough third set, because thank God he wasn't in too many of my service games in the second set, which made it a bit easier for me to relax and concentrate on the return games... But, look, I had tons of chances at the end. Match point was my serve, I mean, what more can I do? I tried everything I could. It's just not happening for me at the moment. "

Miami has now lost its top 3 seeds... Could Tsonga make it 4 tonight?

Last man standing?

No comments: