Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy return for Juan Carlos Ferrero

Former world number one, Juan Carlos Ferrero, made a successful return from the injury that had kept him away from tennis since last year's US Open, by defeating his 1st round opponent in Barcelona, Xavier Malisse in straight sets.

The Spaniard, who had a wrist and knee surgery last October, showed no signs of trouble en route to his 6-4, 6-2, win over Malisse and will next face Mischa Zverev, who replaced Andy Murray in the draw after the Scot pulled out with a minor elbow injury.

The 2003 French Open champion said he felt "a lot better than expected" in his first competitive match in 7 months and that he "felt like a tennis player again".

"It's been a difficult period. This match is the fruit of the all the effort done by a great team. I had many people behind me,"
said Ferrero after his opening win at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell.

"I am happy with my victory because it helped me. Coming back and winning is really important. The goal was to comeback and not get hurt again."

Although the scoreline shows a comfortable win for the 31-year-old, it wasn't easy grabbing that first win after such a long break with such a tough injury.

"I felt a little discomfort at the beginning but as I warmed up I started to feel better. At the end I felt pain all over and it was tough closing out the match but I'm happy that everything went well and I won."

The "Valenciano" has now slipped to #77 in the rankings but those who know the Ferrero know that he is bound to climb up those ranking spots once again.

Ferrero had a good season last year where at 30 years old, he managed to win 3 titles in Brazil, Argentina and Croatia, all on clay. His ranking in 2010 reached as high as 14 proving that he was far from done with the game.

While Ferrero emphasized remaining healthy as a main objective,he expressed his desire to improve and compete with the games best.

"I have to gain back my confidence. It’s not that I have to start from zero, but I never suffered from such a severe injury. I want to keep competing on the highest level for at least two or three more years," said Ferrero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was totes bettin that he'd lose today. proved me wrong

Mo-Shadz said...

Ferrero is one of those players who will keep winning till he hangs up his racket