Monday, June 27, 2011

WIMBLEDON: I've Got A Feeling...

As we throw week 1 of Wimbledon behind our backs, and focus on week 2 that starts today, I have this eerie feeling that I just can't shake.
While Rafael Nadal has been explosive at many points during the past week, and Roger Federer is floating in another galaxy not just planet, I can't help but "feel" (whatever that means) that Andy Murray will win Wimbledon.

I really think that the tennis gods will be kind to the Brits for the first time since 1936.

I don't think I have a real technical explanation for my psychic "premonition"...

Maybe because Murray played an awesome clay season but there was no way he was going to beat Rafa at the French, that's just against the laws of the universe but Wimbledon is a place where such an act is at least plausible!

Or maybe because I keep remembering his performance from 3 weeks ago against Andy Roddick and imagine him repeating that bulldozing form in his upcoming 4 matches?

I also know that Murray can take the ball early if he wants to, and attack very well particularly with his backhand, which he can use to hurt Roger and Rafa (like he has in the past) he just needs to remember to do that. Maybe the entire Centre Court needs to hold banners saying one word: ATTACK! That way he won't forget.

Something else that gave me those pro-Murray vibes was the Scot's match against Ivan Ljubicic. Murray was in trouble in that match especially when his first serve was at a lame 46% in the second set. Ljubicic was very annoying with his walnut-shaped bald head reflecting light from every source around the arena, and his majestic one-handed backhand, hitting those return winners with absolute ease but Murray was somehow unfazed.

He made adjustments, pushed his first serve to the high 60s and came up with a solution in a timely manner.

When Murray was serving for the match at 5-4 in the fourth set, some poor serving as well as a bad overrule from the umpire, allowed Ljubicic to break back and level the set, something that could have easily thrown Murray off his game, but still the 24-year-old managed to put the match to bed, grabbing the tie-break 7-4.

Granted Rafa, Fed or Djokovic could have reacted in the same way, so why do I feel that Murray has any advantage over them? Maybe cuz I feel he's REALLY hungry for that trophy much more than he ever was, and maybe cuz I feel his mentality at Grand Slams compared to the top 3 has never measured up and now I'm looking for signs to prove he actually is mentally stronger this time around.

Anyone making predictions now is really just speculating at best, because to be honest the Awesome Foursome are all as strong as ever, and all we can really do is wait for every match to pass to draw more conclusions and try to spot a weakness amongst a stream of perfection.

All I have is an inkling that Murray will win this whole thing and put to bed the whole no British winner since Fred Perry once and for all cuz honestly I'm so sick of that line, yet I keep repeating it myself!

No comments: