Sunday, March 11, 2012
Murray stumbles in Indian Wells opener for second year running
The world No4 lost to Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-4, 6-2 last night in 1hr 40 mins serving at 48% first serves and failing to convert any of his 7 break point opportunities.
I had asked Murray in Dubai a couple of weeks ago if he was excited about the prospect of not defending any points in Indian Wells and Miami, which would give him a chance to earn some major ranking points if he performed well there this year and he said:
"That's normally where I've played my best.I've normally played well over in the States on the hardcourts there, but struggled the last couple years.
"I prefer the hardcourts over in Asia and Australia. Just feel like the courts have changed a little bit in the States. So it might be something to do with that.
"But I feel better at this stage than I did last year, and hopefully that will get some results."
In the last two years, Murray made the Indian Wells quarters in 2010 (lost to Soderling) and fell in his first match to Donald Young in straights in 2011. In Miami, he stumbled in his opening round in both 2010 and 2011. I guess he really doesn't feel that comfortable there anymore, which is surprising since he told us in Dubai that he practices at Key Biscayne all the time (this year he split his time between Delray Beach and Key Biscayne).
Murray said after his loss to Garcia-Lopez last night:
"I didn't move my best tonight, but it didn't feel like I was moving really badly. My return let me down, and he hardly missed the ball, either. That's the thing. The level of tennis nowadays you get no easy first round matches and you play poor match, that's what happens. So can't allow it to happen. I don't know exactly why because I was playing really, really good tennis the whole of the week and the buildup to it."
The 24-year-old will now try to regain his Dubai runner-up form in Miami, which he won in 2009. But something tells me he isn't really expecting much going in.