Sunday, May 27, 2012

FRENCH OPEN: Are we losing Juan Carlos Ferrero after this season?

 Photo via FFT

2003 Roland Garros champion and former world No1 Juan Carlos Ferrero advanced to the second round in Paris beating French wildcard Jonathan Dasnieres de Veigy 6-1, 6-4, 6-3.

The 32-year-old Spaniard, currently ranked 41, turned pro in 1998 and admits he will take a decision on whether he will quit the sport or not at the end of this season.

"Everything will depend on how fit I feel. If I feel in good shape and if I still feel motivated, and I'll also take a look at my ranking. If I am at 80, 100, and I have to fight in the qualification rounds after such a career, I can't start back from scratch. So my intention was to continue playing till the end of this year. As from the beginning of October, I'll see how things go, and at the end of the year, if I'm ranking 25th or 30th, I'll continue. But if my ranking goes down to slot 80, 90, maybe I'll quit." 

I adore Ferrero and admire how he manages to fight back from injuries and still compete at a high level, with so few matches under his belt. But it makes sense that he would consider quitting if he needs to start qualifying for tournaments and all that. We'll have to wait and see like he said.

He plays Croat Marin Cilic next in Paris.

No comments: