Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tunisian teen Ons Jabeur hits new career-high ranking

17-year-old Tunisian Ons Jabeur has reached a new career-high ranking of 300 this week after making the semi-finals in Stuttgart going all the way from qualifying.

The talented teen, who won the Roland Garros junior title last year and currently trains at the Justine Henin Tennis Academy in Belgium, has been making huge leaps in the WTA rankings having started the year outside the top-1000 and it's amazing how she made the top-300 within seven months.

I've seen her beat two-time Grand Slam semi-finalist Jie Zheng earlier this year in the qualies in Dubai, where she later took Arantxa Rus to three sets and Jabeur is definitely one to look out for in the near future.
She's aggressive, and doesn't get intimidated on court, and she's shown signs of mental strength (she had a lapse in while serving for the match against Zheng allowing the Chinese to get back in the second set but still pulled off the win in the tiebreak).

She's made the semis in Stuttgart, Casablanca and La Marsa as well as the final in Tunis and she'll make her Olympics debut this month in London where she will be competing in singles, with the possibility of playing mixed doubles with fellow Tunisian Malek Jaziri.

“I am so happy , I can’t describe my happiness. I am really so excited to play at the Olympics,” Jabeur told me when she found out she had earned a wildcard for the Games. “I would love to play mixed doubles with Malek. I hope we can arrange that and represent Tunisia together."

When we talked in Dubai last February after her win over Zheng, she was ranked 1169 which she laughingly described as "zebala" which is Arabic for "garbage".

It's safe to say she is well past her "garbage-ranking" days and has gone up over 800 spots within five months. She told me in an email: "My goal is to reach top 250 at the end of 2012. So I'm following the right way. I hope to continue this way or hopefully better."

The way things have been going for her lately, I believe she'll go even higher than that. I can't wait to see how her season unfolds, because I truly believe she's the most exciting thing that happened to Arab women's tennis in like FOREVER!

1 comment:

sequence kids said...

I think she is going to have one heck of a season.. Love this girl.