Saturday, May 31, 2014

FRENCH OPEN 2014: Day 7 Preview - Tough one for Ivanovic against Safarova


It must be impossible to ignore what’s happening.

As the top three seeds exit Roland Garros, only three former champions remain in the draw and Ana Ivanovic knows she is one of them.

She’s also been playing great tennis this season and has pulled off two of the biggest upsets in 2014, beating Serena Williams in Melbourne and Maria Sharapova in Rome.

But ahead of her third round with Czech Republic’s Lucie Safarova today (Saturday), Ivanovic insists it’s imperative she keep her focus on the task at hand and ignore those tipping her as one of the favourites for the title she won in 2008.

“Obviously it's hard to miss that (the top seeds have lost), but I still have my own draw and my own opponents in front of me. I really try to take care of each round individually and not think too much about that,” said the former world No1.

“You can get wound up thinking ahead, but it doesn't change anything.

“I don't think any seed went out in my section, to be honest. It's what happened in the other parts of the draw. It's not what I think of or focus on.”

Ivanovic has a difficult obstacle ahead of her especially having lost to Safarova in their last four meetings – none of which were on clay though.

“It's going to be a tough matchup. She's been playing really well last lately. I think last few times I actually lost, so it will be me going to get revenge,” said Ivanovic.

“I don't know if we played on clay so it's going to be a different kind of match, but I look forward to that challenge.” 

Ivanovic has had a rollercoaster career and after reaching No1 in the world following her first and only Grand Slam triumph six years ago, she only made two major quarter-finals in 23 attempts.

But she has managed to climb back to No12 in the world now and is hoping she can roll back the years and repeat her success from 2008.

She says: “I do feel like I'm a different player now with everything that I've been through. Just as a person I feel like I matured a lot, I grew up.

“Definitely I have familiar feelings. Also going back on Philippe Chatrier does bring a lot of the good memories and positive thoughts. It's a long path, but I wish to relive that moment once again.”

Meanwhile, seventh-seeded Andy Murray is bracing himself for a gruelling encounter with Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber. The Scot lost their only previous meeting, 6-2, 6-1 in Monte Carlo four years ago and is well aware of Kohlshreiber’s abilities. 

“A very tough, very tough match for me,” said Murray.

“I played him once before on clay and I think I got three games or something. He obviously won the tournament last week (in Dusseldorf). He's not dropped a set here, I don't think.”

World No1 Rafael Nadal takes on unseeded Argentine Leonardo Mayer while fifth-seeded David Ferrer faces Italian No32 seed Andreas Seppi.

No comments: