Saturday, May 31, 2014

FRENCH OPEN 2014: Gulbis hopes sisters don't pursue tennis careers


Ernests Gulbis created some waves with comments he made on Friday following his third round win in Paris when he suggested women are better off not being tennis player so they can get a chance to focus on family and kids.

The outspoken Latvian joked at the start of his press conference that he hadn’t been in the main interview room – typically reserved for winners and top players - in six years, since he last made the Roland Garros quarters back in 2008. But the world No17’s first press conference back there did not go as well as would have hoped.

Asked about his younger sisters, who both are believed to play tennis, Gulbis said: “Hopefully they will not pursue a professional tennis career. Hopefully.

“Because for a woman, it's tough. I wouldn't like my sisters to become professional tennis players. It's a tough choice of life. A woman needs to enjoy life a little bit more. Needs to think about family, needs to think about kids. What kids you can think about until age of 27 if you're playing professional tennis, you know.

“That's tough for a woman, I think.”

The 25-year-old, who beat Radek Stepanek in straight sets yesterday, has had a rollercoaster career and this is the first time he has made the second week at a major since his run to the last eight six years ago. He is enjoying a career-high ranking and just won a tournament in Nice last week.

“I did a lot of bad decisions career wise. Not paying too much attention to the things that I do, how to treat my body, how to practice… just overall,” said Gulbis, who next faces Roger Federer.

“Thankfully it didn’t take me a longer time. I’m jumping in the last train. I'm 25, so this was my last opportunity to be really successful, I think, and I think I have good seven, eight more years to play in the top level.”

No comments: